Sunday, January 7, 2007

Москва!

Today was Orthodox Christmas (Рождество). The day began at 7 am for me when Raspo (short for Rasputin) woke me up by talking very loudly in front of my door. He was yelling and playing some giant Asian guitar-thing. At 7 in the morning. Anyway, I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and did some reading and talked to Marc for a bit. Then Raspo came in and started talking to us about "f-cking Chekhov" and theater and communism and how everyone is a fascist, etc etc etc. He doesn't speak English, so it was an entertaining blend of Russian sentence fragments and English cognates.
Keith told me he woke up at 4 am and Raspo was already drunk and stumbling around. Have I mentioned he has tremendous BO?
We had to listen to Raspo's highly racist ramblings and watch him pose like a ballerina ("theater is fascism" - apparently actors dance like ballerinas) for about two hours.
After that we went out to wander around Moscow. We went to Red Square and to some cathedral. It was a blast! For being fairly dirty and mainly not-quite-first-world, it was a lot of fun just to wander around. I'll put up pictures tomorrow.
When we got back, Susan and I made those delicious sausages wrapped in lavash - but this time we even put cheese on them. Mmm. You know you're jealous.
Now I'm going to take a nap, because I'm exhausted!
Пока!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Well, your day was off to quite a start. Do they decorate for Christmas there? I mean, ae there lights, decorations, and trees and stuff? Does it seem like Christmas at all? What theater have you been to lately? You are probably at something right now. What's the best meal you have had there (certainly not the breakfast "sausage in a roll")? I am looking forward to more photos. Love ya!

Pat's mom said...

Thanks for keeping us informed of your life in Russia. Sounds like you have some amazing friends.
What is the comparison of a ruble to US dollars?
Did you weigh yourself before leaving on this trip? Those sausage breakfast are sure to put on the pounds. And a mullet?
Keep the comments and pics coming. We are all enjoying it.
Love Pat's mom

Karl said...

Must be a little surreal to wake up to Rasputin!

You're not in Kansas/Rochester anymore!
Quite a treat reading your posts, Colin.

Unknown said...

Sounds as though Rasputin is finding quite an audience in all of you! He probably LIVES for fresh new meat!!! And YOU ARE IT!!! Lucky you!
How many of you went on this trip?

(Hey, I LIKE sausage and cheese!)

I love this blog...looking forward to more photos!
The one of St Basil's was certainly somber... grey skies with billowing exhaust in the background.