Sunday, January 14, 2007

Yes, there are Roma...

Right now I'm sitting next to a German guy. He's talking on some video internet thing to a friend. He just for some reason video-taped me. ???
Yesterday a bunch of us went to the Pushkin Gallery. It was surprisingly small. It was good but not impressively so. My favorite piece there was called "Burned-Out Violin" by Fernandez Arnand or something lie that. It was really interesting. 3D, actually burned out violin in some kind of plastic-like clear casing. Lots of good paintings, not many great.
Then we went to two one-act operas. They were pretty good, the second better than the first.
Today I was feeling basically all better, but now I feel sick again.
We went to a 3-hour ballet this afternoon. I wasn't a big fan (I'm sure you're all shocked). But it was inside the Kremlin wall, so that was interesting. Right next to a beautiful church. I'll try and upload pictures tomorrow.
Then we went to a sort of new-aged play called the Apple Thief. It was really interesting, but almost nothing like the script we read for it, which made it confusing. I understood quite a bit of the Russian, tho. That was fun. Before the play a few of us grabbed dinner at a Coca-Cola kiosk (it was the only one we could find open). We got pirozhki (only 20 roubles), but they tasted like greasy un-baked dough boiled in grease and "filled" (only about a third of mine was "filled") with greasy hamburger meat. Mmm! I know you're jealous.
Oh, and yes, there are Roma here. Actually I don't know if they count as Roma, maybe just sad old babushkas with no teeth. It's certainly not as bad as many places in Europe. Probably just too cold here.
I think that's about all I have for now. We leave Moscow at 9 pm on Tuesday. I'm exhausted. I'm going to sleep!

PS - no news on getting my Skype working...
Address in Petersburg (tho Marc says probably nothing will get there, it takes too long): St. Petersburg International Hostel/3 Sovetskaya ul., 28/St. Petersburg

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I bet you are excited to head towards Novgorod and then Petersburg. I bet they (especially Petersburg) are entirely different from Moscow! Your lunches and dinners continue to amaze me. Yes, I am jealous! I hope you feel better.
It is snowing here today, quite pretty. We have considerably lower temps recently here than you have had in Russia (Paul has been checking the weather). Winter has finally arrived here.
And now you get to go on a long couchette ride...
love ya, mom

Karl said...

Bummer to feel bunk when you are traveling. Hope you feel better soon, Colin. Maybe a nice hot cuppa lard? I shouldn't have written that...

Hope the menu gets better in Petersburg!