Thursday, January 4, 2007

in Russia

So the days of travel were hellish. We flew to Denver, where we had a 7 hour lay-over. From there we flew to Frankfurt; we watched a Woody Allen movie (Scoop), which was great. We also watched Step Up (not great). Finally we flew from Frankfurt to Moscow. I got sick on this flight (throat thing, just like dad had).

I slept about 11 hours last night, I figure, and now I'm feeling fine.

So Moscow is 12 hours later than San Diego, meaning that it's literally on the other side of the world. It was also around 34° here today, making it about 50° cooler than in San Diego. San Diego is also a desert; Moscow certainly is not.



Today we woke up around 9:00 am and went to an opera at the Bolshoi (Iolanta by Tchaikovsky); apparently it wasn't very good, though I couldn't tell. I could tell the singing was very good, however. Anna would have really liked some of it. I also liked it, because it was only 2 hours long.

Lunch was very expensive, but dinner (which I'm eating right now) was very cheap. That's about all I'm going to write today, so now it's time for pictures:

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow! Lenin's Tomb, Red Square, St. Basil's. Amazing. We loved hearing from you and seeing the images. It looks like you are having a wonderful time. How amazing. I am sorry you got sick on the flight(s). What a long time in transit. But great that you got a good sleep and now are back to "normal." Your temp is similar to ours here in Minnesota, but what a change to go essentially from San Diego to Moscow! Actually, we are a bit warmer here (40) today.
What is your hostel like?
Much love mom

Unknown said...

To me, it seems odd that you chose a desert photo for San Diego (that was a great side-trip though)! Of course that is what nature intended for us, but we add water and PRESTO! Palm trees, bouganvillea, birds of paradise! I guess I think of ocean and beaches more than desert, but I like the fact that we have it all!

I think this is SO EXCITING that you can blog your trip!!!! You're doing a fine job on your first blog! Thanks!
Teri

Karl said...

Hi Colin!

Great to read your blog- fun to see the pics!
What an experience!

David Chuba's neighbor just got back from Russia - he & his wife adopted two boys- 7&9 yrs old, so I just got a bunch of pics from him of Russia that his neighbor took. Pretty amazing place.

Have fun & keep blogging!

Love Karl