Friday, January 12, 2007

Snow! (sort of)

Yesterday we went to Mosfilm (as I mentioned before). It was amazing! We toured a city set ("Old Moscow"); that was especially cool. They even had fake churches with cupolas. Everything was lifesize. It was really interesting. We also got to see their sound studio (third biggest in the world). Then to end the tour we met with the PRESIDENT of Mosfilm - think if there were a president of Hollywood, one of the most important people in Russia. And he talked with us, answered our questions, for an hour or so! His name is Karen Shakhnazarov (Карен Шахназаров KAAH-ryen is a boy's name in Russia); he's made a ton of really important films in Russia. He spoke English quite well, so that was nice, too. But it was unbelievable. We sat in a room with two oscars and an uncountable number of other foreign trophies, etc. This is probably my favorite thing we've done so far on the trip!

Today we went to the Mayakovsky museum. It was really interesting. Strange architecture, futurist art, sketches, an upside-down portrait of Nicholas II. It's supposedly one of the "1000 places to visit before you die". Then we wandered around a bit. I rock at navigating the subway now! I also got dad a present. Not gonna tell you what, but it's hard to find in the States.

That's about it for now. I promise to put up more pictures tonight. We're going to some ultra-modern theater tonight and then taking the circle line (finally!). Then I'll go to Kofe Hauz and upload to the blog. One last thing: We have 5 people now in our room. It's not terribly tight, but everybody but Rusty and I snore.
Oh! And it snowed/sleeted/mainly rained today. Nothing's white, but it washes away some of the mud.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Good morning! (evening there) Mosfilm sounds amazing. Did you get photos? I hope so. Five in a room sounds pretty cozy, but oh well...
I am anxious to hear abut the Circle Line and see some photos. I will check back later.
love ya, mom

Paul Halverson said...

I bet you do rock at navigating the subway system. You did in Paris too. That can be your life goal - to conquer all the major subway systems in the world. You could even devote a blog to it...

For your snoring room-mates, you might want to try to find some Breathe Right nasal strips. Mom says they have been really working for me.

Can't wait to see all your photos!

Love ya, Dad

Paul Halverson said...

Nice resource for Moscow subway station viewing is here.

Pat M said...

Hi Colin and all, Teri says she has not seen any of my blog writings. I think I've put in 3 so far, this would be the 4th. Maybe Colin isn't seeing them either? They do say "written by Pat McCarthy" someplace.
Oh well, I'm surely enjoying what Colin writes. Sounded a bit scary to me tho, wandering around that late, the one night, to get to the Kofe
House, all the crazy people and cars running, etc. Love all the photos, too. You're doing a terrific job, Colin. Love, Grandma Pat Pat McCarthy