Sunday, January 21, 2007

quick birthday post

It's my bday!
Thanks everyone for the bday wishes.
We went to the worst play ever today. All but four of us walked out of it.
Today a group of us went to the Russian Museum. It was overall disappointing, but had some nice paintings by Repin. My favorite (one of my favorites ever) is Sadko by him. Anyway it seems all Russian art museums are terribly lit. Sunlight and electric light manage to always glare every picture no matter where in the building.
Yesterday a group of us went to the Church on Spilt Blood, which is really beautiful. I'll put up pics tomorrow. We also ate at the Literary Cafe or something like that. It's the last place Pushkin was before going out to his "fateful duel". It was really good food, and there was live music (violin and piano) and it overlooked the Neva.
Oh and I almost forgot: Today Marie, Kira and I met a young man named Viktor. He was really nice and talked to me a lot in Russian, and I understood all of it. But best of all he handed us some pamphlets. Turns out he's a scientologist! In Russia! It made my birthday.
That should do it for now. More tomorrow (hopefully with pics).
I'm no longer a teenager. And I'm in Petersburg.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Hey the Literary Cafe sounds wonderful. What a way to spend your birthday, how memorable! This time you have good food (shock) and a bad play! Have you been to the Hermitage yet?
Can't wait to see more photos of Petersburg.
It is snowing here, lovely
You start your long journey home in one week, a changed man!
love ya mom

Cody said...

A Scientologist, huh? I wonder if they have seen the "Trapped in the Closet" episode of South Park over there! No longer a teenager! Woo-hoo!

Lindsay Claire Shimizu said...

Welcome to your third decade of life!!! Happy Birthday or as we say in Hastings, Pithy Barfday! I don't know the time/day difference, so I probably missed it, but it's the thought that counts anyways, right? Jealous of your bliny crepe, otherwise I hope your day was (is still?) lovely. See you when you get back. Beautiful pics by the way. Love, Linds.

Nolan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLIN!! Hope you're staying warm in Russia! Check your squirrelmail/facebook for a birthday present from me, Nate, and Alex.

Pat M said...

Hi Colin! Another HAPPY BIRTHDAY and this one is from Nick. He is wishing you all the best, hopes you are having a great time, etc. He doesn't know how to do the Blog, and I was going to show him...but we got interrupted and never got back to it.
Anyway, Literary Cafe sounds like the place to be. Let's have a really good play for your group to see! It's about time for that. Love, Grandma Pat