Thursday, January 18, 2007

a very quick post

Alright, so I'm in Petersburg now. In case you were wondering, it is definitely much cooler to call it Petersburg and drop the "Saint". I'm typing downstairs in the hostel. It's 12:50 in the evening here, and the reception closes at 1:00, so I'll give a very brief synopsis of the last few days.
The night before we left, I had a great and long conversation with the people who worked at Godzillas. They were all really nice, and it was so interesting to here their opinions on everything. We talked about stereotypes about America and Russia, politics, oil, their opinions on Putin (all but one of them loved him - said he did amazing things in the couple years he's been in office, and it's true; Moscow has changed a lot).
Anyway, the lady at the desk just told me their closing in five minutes, so this synopsis is gonna get a lot shorter.
We took a sleeper-train to Novgorod, toured the city, saw one play, took a bus to Petersburg. I tried to get on WiFi in one of the four Kofe Hauzes we passed on ONE STREET (Kofe Hauz is the Starbucks of Russia), but the Petersburg Kofe Hauzes don't have WiFi. In fact I couldn't find any.
Gotta go!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Hi yes that was quick! I didn't realize you weren't staying overnight in Novgorod at all. But I am glad you are in Petersburg. Now if only you can find a coffee house so you can download some photos! Interesting comments about how the people at Godzilla's all like Putin!!! It will be interesting to hear more of the reasoning when you are home.
I am anxious to hear what you are up to in Petersburg, which is supposedly to be beautiful. Is it?
love ya mom

Pat M said...

Hey, Colin! Saint Petersburg is too darn long anyway, thanks. I'm hoping you'll really like your new digs, and esp, find a good Coffee House for your writing/sending.

San Diego is gradually warming up to near normal. We all have FROSTED plants around us. Down below freezing about 3 nights, would you believe? And we all gripe a LOT, not used to those temps. My yard only lost leaves on the cannas, and my plumeria looks very skimpy, big leaves all gone.

Karl and Jean are flying to SD March 13th, am sure looking forward to that. Glad they could work out the dates so they land not too far apart on the same dates, leaving also, on the 20th.

Choir Director (you met Ray) really gave us a work out this evening, so I'm heading to bed, just 10 pm now.

Love reading your Blog, Grandma Pat