Monday, January 22, 2007

from the camera of a young adult

Pictures of Petersburg



Church of the Savior of Spilled Blood
The outside was definitely (in my opinion) prettier than the inside, but it was all beautiful.
Apparently this building was hated by Petersburgers (??? I have no idea what you call them) and decried as a "scar on the face of Petersburg". I thought it was gorgeous, but it certainly does stick out in a fairly Western-looking city.



inside
You can't really tell, but the colors were all really bright, mainly light blues. And everything was mosaic tiles.



outside
nothing to say except that it's really freaking beautiful



above the entrance (вход)



I don't know what she was supposed to be, but she was standing outside of the church all dressed up. Then she got a phone call. You can see her talking on her cell in this pic.



another picture of the whole church



It snowed… sort of. Then the snow stopped. Nothing stayed once it hit the ground. It's still pretty warm here - especially during the day. There are four horses overlooking the Neva.



The children's park next to our hostel. Russia definitely should win a prize for most depressing parks.

9 comments:

Catherine said...

Good morning Colin, Young Adult! I love the photos. Wow! Do the people in Petersburg still resent that church? Or was that just when it was built? Amazing. Yes the parks have all looked so lovely. Hope you enjoy your last week there. I am looking forward to hearing stories and seeing photos in person! love ya mom

Paul Halverson said...

That is an amazing church! I read up on it in wikipedia - interesting story behind it.... built sort of as a private memorial it wasn't used as a public church, then the revolution and it was used as a warehouse among other things, then it was hit by German artillery in the war, then finally restored...

It looks beautiful. Thanks for the pictures!

Love ya, Dad

Paul Halverson said...

One more thing - the lady on the cell-phone's outfit reminded me of that wonderful painting at the Russian Museum in Mpls...

Gathering of Village Women

Karl said...

live music & good food-a view of the river, and Russian Scientology! What a B-Day!

Snowing here today too. First snow of the winter!

Keep blogging- and post more pics! That is a beautiful church.

Have you taught any Russians how to speak Balmer? Shhhhheeeeeeeed- chegidoubt!
It's all in the hand gesture. Little in the hips. Head dips on the chegidoubt for emphasis.

Unknown said...

I think I like this church better than St Basil's! Maybe it's just that the photography is brighter, but it's so colorful! I can see some might say garish, certainly not understated, but I still like it.

Pat M said...

You know what is happening, Colin? We are all getting addicted to being able to read what is going on with you, day by day. At least I am. Petersburg, the Spilled Blood church, boy, all such marvelous photos. You are doing a superb job. Then what is going to happen when you are "home" and very busy with college again...and my addiction calls....?
Anyway, Petersburg looks more likeable than Moscow. (Karl, loved that Baldmer bit) Love, Gr Pat

Cody said...

Nice pix Colin! Maybe that woman in the dress is a life sized version of those Babushka dolls! hahaha. Those parks sure look great, maybe Swerve Monkey needs to go to Russia and be on THAT park and rec board and leave us alone. Enjoy your last week in Russia!

Ashley said...

Hey Colin!! I love the pictures.. that church is gorgeous! I'm glad to hear that you are having a great time, and what a way to spend your birthday! I'm certainly jealous and excited for you.

grandma mary said...

Lovely pictures of that beautiful church, Colin. Will you see the Hermitage? I look forward to that. I read your blog every day - good job. I almost feel as if i have been there, too. --Grandma Mary